Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pineapple Vodka Infusion

You know that you really like to get it crackin if you have ever attempted to make your own liquor. There are microbrew kits that you can use to make your own beer. There are wine making classes that allow you to store what you've made in their facilities. You can even conceivably buy your own still to make hard liquor at home! But since distilling your own hard liquor is very much illegal in America(unless you live in the hills of West Virginia I imagine) I am going to make my first attempt at infusing fruit into some vodka. I can't make it, but I can make it better!

This, of course, will not be my first attempt at making my own adult beverage. Way back when, I thought that making wine was easy. It just has to ferment right? Well, I did make a very potent batch of vinegar so I guess I should be proud of myself in that regard. This time around, I hope to make things a bit easier on myself. I'll go with a pineapple vodka. It is a pretty affordable project. Pineapples are pretty cheap and a decent vodka for infusing is fairly easy to come by.

So I went with a pretty affordable vodka because I'm a pauper and I don't want to waste "good" vodka on an experiment. I got a pineapple from the grocery store up the street, cut it up, and dropped everything into a jar. I added one whole pineapple to a f-i-f FIF! of  vodka. Then I let it sit for 24 hours, making sure to periodically shake it up and whisper sweet nothings about what I was going to do with it when it's ready.(so romantical)

I found that one of the good things about infusing vodka yourself is that you get two treats - pineapple infused vodka and vodka infused pineapples. Squirt a dab of Whipped Lightning(to be discussed in a later post) on top of the pineapples, and you'll be quoting Tupac songs and telling your personal business to complete strangers in no time! The only drawback was that the flavor of the pineapple seemed to be overpowered by the vodka. This may have been the brand that I used, so maybe a "premium" brand will work out better. Now that I know how easy it is, I will be doing it again.

As for the vodka, the pineapple flavor really came through. I think that a better balance of flavors was achieved with the vodka than with the fruit. Obviously the pineapples soaked up some of the alcohol content, so it is all-around more palatable for the lightweight of the family.(if your family has any lightweights)

Overall, I think that my experiment went fairly well. I am guessing that just about any fruit will work, so go ahead and try it with whatever your favorite happens to be. The evil scientist in me has been awakened, and I will be definitely be trying more new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment